Thursday, January 19, 2012

As we said last month '; Cork City snap up Murray on a free

Cork City confirm Murray signing
By Press Release
Published: January 19, 2012

Cork City Football Club have announced the signing of Dan Murray.

The 29 year old central defender, who first signed for City on loan from Peterborough United in 2002, returns to the club after a two year spell at Shamrock Rovers, whom he captained to successive Premier Division title wins.

Speaking to CorkCityFC.net, Cork City manager Tommy Dunne said: “Dan was a big player for Cork City in the past, and he will add a huge amount of experience to our squad as we look to the future also. He spent the last couple of seasons “in exile” at Shamrock Rovers, but that was only due to the circumstances at the club. Everyone involved in the club, from the supporters, to the players and management knew that Dan only left the club as he is a professional player who had to look after his family, and no-one wanted to see him go.”

“I know Dan wanted to come back, and I spoke to him numerous times over the close-season, so I am very happy that we have come to an agreement which will see him return to Cork City. He is a player with vast experience in the Airtricity League of Ireland and also at European level, and we are delighted to have a player of his calibre back at the club.”

Murray, who put pen to paper early this morning at Turner’s Cross said: “I am delighted to be back at Cork City Football Club. It was always on the cards that I would come back to the club at some point after having to leave a couple of years ago, so I am very pleased that it is now confirmed.”

“It is a much younger side than the one that was here when I left, so I hope that I can bring some experience to the team. They showed last season what a good side they are in winning the First Division and returning to the Premier, and I am positive that we can do well next season.”

“I’ve obviously worked with Tommy previously when he was assistant to Paul Doolin. He was a good coach to work with then, and he has proved over the last couple of years that he is a good manager also. From my discussions with him, I know that he has some good ideas for the future and I am looking forward to working with him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment