Saturday, March 17, 2012

Exclusive Interview with George O'Callaghan he tells us how feels like to be a fan again

O'CallaghanFormer Cork City midfielder George O'Callaghan takes a look at the world of football, home and abroad
Friday Night Lights
By George O'Callaghan
Published: March 13, 2012
As I walked into Turner’s Cross last Friday night with my son I could feel the expectation that always comes with the first home game of the season. As the 4,000 gathered inside both teams were busy with their warm up and those memories of sitting on the wall at Turner's Cross as a young boy came rushing back to me. That feeling "I want to be out there is a feeling I think every fan has. The fact that I was home after playing the last seven months in Asia was just sinking in.

Sitting there, I finally felt like a fan again. This is why the League of Ireland is so special. The reason I say this is because the LoI is real! Sure the lads get paid but no more than the man on the street. Moreover it would perfectly commonplace to see some of the greats who once graced our leagues stand in the same dole queues with everyone else. You could easily have one of your favourite players living next to you, or sitting in your local chatting about the game you've just watched.

This connection between players and fans is something that English football has lost. English football was built on this relationship, with the players going out on a Saturday giving all they have and after the game taking the time to sit and talk to the fans that idolise them. Ultimately, it made everybody feel part of the club.

The sad reality now is how quickly players pass by in their blacked out cars to avoid any conversation with fans like the Premier League players of today. Sadly this has filtered down to the lower leagues in England and I have witnessed it in many of the clubs of which I have been a part. For example at Ipswich Town I used to get slated by my teammates for speaking to fans because it was not the cool thing to do. What they failed to realise is these are the people who put players there in the first place and go a long way to actually paying their wages. This is one of the reasons why English football has lost its soul.

Last Friday night all my memories of my heroes such as Davey Barry, Patsy Freyne and not forgetting Phil 'Biscuits' Harrington's banter with the Shed came flooding back to me and it may be 20 years later but the Cross still has that magic. With a game full of goals and drama it was won by a fantastic performance from Drogheda. The Boynesiders have been tipped for the drop this season but based on the bravery and skill on show on Friday, I’m sure the Drogheda faithful will be happy with their team this season.

Now we look forward to this Friday night and the visit of the league champions to a Cork City side who will no doubt be low in confidence. This will most likely draw one of the biggest gates of the season but I’m sure that rebel spirit will give an exciting Rovers team a run for their money. I'm looking forward to an equally exciting game in my home of football - Turner's Cross!

No comments:

Post a Comment