Call me the new Ole! Hernandez not worried by United super-sub tag

By Sportsmail Reporter
Lastupdated at 7:21 PM on 22nd February 2012

Javier Hernandez says he has no problem with being known as the new 'super sub' at Old Trafford after an explosive first 18 months with Manchester United.
The Mexico international made his Manchester United debut in August 2010 and in that time has already scored 29 goals with 10 coming from the bench.
Only one player in the club's history has scored more goals coming off the bench.
Part of the team: Javier Hernandez is happy to bide his time at Manchester United
Part of the team: Javier Hernandez is happytobide his time at Manchester United
Big ten: Hernandez already has scored ten goals from the bench
Big ten: Hernandez already has scored ten goals from the bench
'Ole Gunnar Solskjaer,' Hernandez says. 'I know.'
But even the original 'super-sub'took his time with Solskjaer’s 28 goals off the bench came from 150 substitute appearances and Hernandez already has 10 from 30.
'I don’t know what makes me effective as a substitute,” Hernandez added. 'I don’t have the answer.
'In football you can’t always comeup with a reason, because of this or that. I don’t play any different [whether I start a game or come on as a substitute].
'If I play one minute, 10 minutes or 90 minutes I tryto play the same. My mind is alwaysto do my best and help my team. There are some times in the game when we needto score and perhaps I have had a little bit of luck.'
And Hernandez says he is not worried that his impact from the bench may result in him making less appearances in the starting XI.
In the goals: Hernandez scored in the first leg against Ajax
In the goals: Hernandez scored in the first leg against Ajax
'I just wantto help my team,' he says. 'I don’t care if I’m on the bench. Last year I was on the bench at the start and then I was in the teamtowards the end of the season. The gaffer has the answers.
'Every player in every team wantsto play as many minutes as possible, but I don’t care if I start or I’m a substitute. I just wantto enjoy it. I am living a dreamto play for Manchester United.'
The most famous goal: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer scored the winner for United against Bayern Munich to win the Champions League in 1999
The most famous goal: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer scored the winner for United against Bayern Munichto win the Champions League in 1999
The 23-year-old still has nine goals in 26 appearances in 2011/12 and remainsupbeat.
'I think every season is difficult,' he says. 'My first year was also very difficult. I’d changed all my lifeto come hereto England.
Bench star: Solskjaer was known as the original 'super sub' at Manchester United
Bench star: Solskjaer was known as the original 'super sub' at Manchester United
'There isn’t goingto be a season where everything is really good or a season when it’s really bad and I am suffering a lot. We needto keep the balance. Sometimes football is goingto give you good things and sometimes it’s goingto give you bad things. It’s part of the game.
'The only thing I can do is ensure my attitude is positive so I can help my team. The most important thing is that Manchester United wins all the games.'


No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the firstto send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.
Your name and location will appear nextto your comment.
You have 1000 characters left.
Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules.
For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy.
Terms